1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

What's the benefit of inverted wheel setup?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by RuyHD, May 2, 2019.

1. RuyHD

RuyHD Spacer

Hi guys!

As the title goes what are the pros and cons of this setup? nowadays I saw this kind of setup most frequently in MS builds. Or is this a lay-out depended setup?.

Also I noticed in my local compound tires with sponge are rampant with low frictions or super hards maybe I'm missing something is there any pros and cons about this tire compounds?

Thanks a lot!

2. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

So the inverted wheel thing, The left and right wheels travel different distances through a curve. This is not as efficient and slows the car down. by inverting the wheels you bring them closer to the center of the chassis and reduce the loss of speed a small amount. Many racers have adopted this style for all of their chassis. It may just seem more common on MS because many of those builds are a bit more advanced than people running just standard S2, VS, AR, MA, etc.. It's not track dependent, it will help on every track and it's one more of those small changes that can make the difference in performance.

As far as tire compound with sponge. I do not use it, but I'm guessing it has to do reducing the rotating weight of the car. The regular width tires already provide plenty of grip and can still run well with reduced width(see high speed cars). but the rules state tires must be 8mm in width so adding lighter weight sponge will allow you to meet those requirements. Also that reduced width will help with cornering as well since less tire to drag across the curve slowing the car.

RuyHD likes this.
  3. RuyHD

RuyHD Spacer

Thank you :)