1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Track section dimensions

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Drew, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

I was wondering if any of you guys have or could find out the dimensions of track sections for me?
    I have this which shows basic sizes for straights and corners, I know the wall heights are 50mm, the lane widths are 115mm.

Track sizes.JPG

I was wondering about the lengths, heights and other dimensions of slopes, banks and lane changers.

I could really use this information so I can go about looking for somewhere that could help me cutting the parts so I can build a close to original spec track as possible. I'll probably be making it out of mdf for the base with walls made from plywood.

2. MrBot

MrBot Screw

I belive the exterior walls are 55mm and interior are 55mm.
    Anyway I got these. Print at 100% and line up the "+" symbols.
    Credit to this guy: DandeLineOn

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  3. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Thanks man, I was only looking for numbers on the sizes, I was thinking of getting it all CNC. Still, this will all come in handy for a base template.

Murdock, TallTucker and MrBot like this.
  4. MrBot

MrBot Screw

Yeah. I didn't have any sizes. But if you print you can measure lol. I was going to make it out of sheet metal.

TallTucker likes this.
  5. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

@M4R Could you move the 2nd post to the track dimensions thread please, then this one can be deleted.

6. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

Hi, can i ask about the print settings of that course design? i seemed to failed alot when printing it since i cant get the exact image it always lacks a little of the edges although the print size is right. im using the usual A4 format below. but when i print it, the cross image on the lower left wont be printed. same thing happenes to other drafts. hope you can help. thanks :)

[​IMG]

7. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Try changing all the margins to 0.0 or what ever the minimum allowed is.

8. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

still did not work some of the print is missing >_<. ill try inserting the course design in ms word, change layout to A4 and adjust to narrow margins 0.5 then ill rotate the pic since the bottom margin takes alot of space and can erase some details on the pic inserted into the page then ill adjust the scale of the pic to 100% original size. hope this time it will work and size will be exact.. whew..

[​IMG]

9. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

I printed mine at work, on work computers I hate, and had some printing trouble as well. The main issue was the difference between 8.5x11” and A4, if I recall correctly. It’s a shame the very generous and hard working creator of these drawings didn’t use PDF. :( Maybe I’ll reformat them if I think about it. Not everything fits on every page. It doesn’t need to.

I used these same patterns to make some cardboard track pieces. It takes FOREVER if you are using strong cardboard. While doing this I had plenty of time to invent a way better way to do it. :)

While I appreciate the advantages of 3D printing, C&C-ing MDF, etc I honestly think it’s a huge slow time consuming waste of money in at least %90 of cases. The way things are made in real life is by cutting, welding, bolting, gluing, casting, etc. If someone has wood shop tools then this is actually a really easy job. Ask your grandpa.

After months of planning and false starts this piece only actually took about a half hour to make. It would be much faster if my router wasn’t so crappy. I hope to have a complete circle (8 of these) by the weekend.

The base is 3/4” “fancy” plywood and the walls are masonite. Wall height is close but not exact Tamiya. I figure...this is my track. I have no access to real stuff because it’s $1000 to ship a good sized track. Since the surfaces are wood then it’s always going to behave differently than real plastic track and therefore there isn’t much point in Tamiya accuracy. As long as the lanes are roughly the same width as well as the radius on the corners and the wall height. Most pieces will be similar or the same in overall size so if I get some real track I can intigrate it as well.

I am *very* grateful for the cardboard project because without his patterns to simply trace onto wood I’d be starting from much further back (I have no legit track to measure). I’m also very glad that he chose 3 lane instead of 2 to copy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    fredzy and Drew like this.
  10. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

I've been thinking about doing it myself, seems the shop I went to has gone no where. I was also thinking it might be worthwhile laying a sheet of plasticard on the track surface so the wheels are gripping similarly to a proper track. Just an idea though.

11. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

That’s a good idea. You’d have to glue it down really well but that would go a long way towards giving you a similar texture. I’d do the same with the walls since the roller design is probably going to produce different results on masonite.

Since I live so far from where the racing is I don’t have much use for track accuracy. The good side of this is that I don’t have to cater to just 36mph rockets with 1mm ground clearance. I can build little ramps and surface variations and whatever, return a little more of the 80s Mini 4WD anarchy. :) I have a GP-oriented racing brain but my kid is way more into Wild type stuff so this track will work with both.

Drew likes this.
  12. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

last time i tried to print the drawings i failed a lot. now ill try again. and instead of cardboard, ill ask the carpenters for their service since its cheap as well as the materials. i just need to print the whole exact part as a guide for each part of the track. ill try to do some trial and errors and i wont stop until it became a successful print. ill even edit the drawings into pdf. goodluck to me. haha

Drew likes this.
  13. fredzy

fredzy Box Kit

It looks like your initial problem was that you had "fit to page" selected - you need to print at 100% normal size as you mentioned in a follow-up post. With 0 margins set, that should fit fine on A4.

I printed on letter and made a fun track out of cardboard. Box cutter, pencil, straight-edge, tape and glue. I didn't find this forum before I did it - only saw the videos on YouTube. I'll have to write up some of my tips and tricks when I get more time.

As others mentioned here, I have no true competition in mind so accuracy or even comparable performance to plastic is of no concern. The finished product is pretty consistent though - due in part to the sort of assembly-line operation that you get into after building a while. I imagine tuning a car to perform well on cardboard track wouldn't necessarily carry over well to an equivalent plastic track, but I don't plan on tuning or seeking out a real track, so no biggie. Just for fun with the kids. Here it is, all 15-20 hours worth the work:

Drew likes this.
  14. David S.

David S. Washer

Fantastic effort! That looks like a quality job. Well done!

fredzy likes this.
  15. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

That’s great! I’ve had a huge shortage of time lately so I haven’t moved as fast with my wood track and intended. I do have four 45° sections complete and many parts cut out and all the wood I need to complete a basic three lane track but...I’m on my way out to door to help someone move house.

Soon...

fredzy likes this.
  16. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

I don’t have pictures yet but last night I managed to tape together enough pieces to form a circuit. There is no crossover yet and there are only two straight sections so it’s still barely more than a circle but it WORKS.

At about 3:00am last night I tested most of my cars. The dual motor Record Breaker (1989) was first. It’s super slow. :) Then I switched to Pig Racer who even with a stock motor would fly off the track at my bumpy sections. I was discouraged by this at first. “How big of a track do I really need just to open one of these cars up?” But then I sent the Rowdy Bull, which is the Starter Pack version. It has almost zero problem staying on the track despite being much faster (Atomic Tuned, I think). So I guess brake plates and mass dampers really work, even in mild situations. The car just...absorbs the bumps, thanks to the hop up parts.

I’m going out for more supplies. I have enough room on my tennis table to add two more straights.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Murdock and fredzy like this.
  17. nivle

nivle Box Kit

Any template for the 3 lane slope? Thanks!

18. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

19. ronnel

ronnel Box Kit

sir/madam could you send me your pattern in race track (4wd mini)