1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Stock Tires vs Hard Tires

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by k20a3, Aug 14, 2018.

1. k20a3

k20a3 Screw

My apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I'm trying to determine what tires come with the stock kits, in particular the FM-A XTO kit. It feels like they are soft tires, but trying on a pair of hard tires doesn't feel significantly harder. I haven't come across super hard tires, so don't know how significant the difference is.

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

I don't have my cars and variety of tires available to me at the moment, but z3nbluster says regular tires on the Gunbluster XTO, not hard so I'm saying they are normal and not hard. Super hard tires are noticeably harder than regular hard tires.

3. k20a3

k20a3 Screw

Thanks for the reply.
    It's interesting that the tires on the XTO are noticeably soft. I'm hoping hard or super hard tires will help with my bouncing around on landings.

4. Spirit Of Motorsport

Spirit Of Motorsport Screw

Super hards are great when it comes to reducing bounce so grab some if you can!

5. k20a3

k20a3 Screw

Any input on the maroon low frictions? They feel like super hard, but i'm assuming the compound is even slicker.

6. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

Yeah, they seem to basically be Super Hard but also greasier.

7. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Low friction are really good to run on the front to let it slide more, but super difficult to find. There is a new kit coming out with low friction tires. I'm sue many of them will be sold just to get the tires.

8. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

I was able to find two sets on eBay recently with no issues. I only found the recently released extra large ones though. I think they made large like a year ago and I never see those.

9. Corweena

Corweena Spacer

The large super hard tires were from a few years ago I think, they are pretty hard to find as they were a limited edition item. The XL ones are currently available, but XL wheels are not generally that great to use....you have to use a higher gear ratio, and they also raise the height of your car and thus the center of gravity making it less stable.

For the medium diameter Super Hard tires, search part #95323 (standard white lettering) and #95080 (limited yellow lettering). I've found searching the exact part number can most often yield better search results. The 95323 were readily available until earlier this year....so I'm guessing next year Tamiya will re-release them with a new part number....but for now I bought like 5 sets just in case its longer until they come back.

If you can't find them yourself, I believe I know where to get multiple sets if you need them.

Or, you can do what I've done before, buy a kit that come with them if you need other parts from a box stock kit...break it down and use the parts. I'll normally try and find the cheapest kit that comes with what I need.....I'll normally take the chassis, motor, gears, terminals, and wheels/tires to use....and throw the rest of the pieces into my big spare parts bin. Its actually cheaper than trying to buy those specific parts separately more often than not.

Also, on the topic, a lot of times hard tires are different colors, and not just black. Examples would be both the Aero Avante and Abilista Violet Special kits...they both come with light purple hard tires. Or the new HK Racing Taxi which has hard gray tires. They've also been released in the past in white and other colors too. Also, later this year, Tamiya is dropping a new medium diameter carbon wheel set that will come with the gray hard tires as standard. It would be worth picking up. Depending on the track layout, sometimes we will run mismatched front and rear compounds...especially on steep banks, a hard tire on a rear motor car will provide extra grip up the banks making the car much quicker, along with better acceleration. At the cost of a little more bounce and less tire slip in turns. For FM cars, it can be reversed....hard up front, super hard in the rear. Just another small thing you can play with and try and optimize your car for a specific track. Same goes with the low friction tires.

SignOfZeta likes this.
  10. k20a3

k20a3 Screw

Thanks for the all the info.

Sounds like I should pick-up some hard and super hard tires to mix and match to find the ideal setting for the current track.

11. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

I would like to upgrade the compound but not the style of tire that comes on Shirokumaku and Pig Racer kits. I love the white gold deep dish wheels. Are there any hop up parts like that? Do they even sell Super Hard in stagered widths like that (1970s F1 style) or in that size?

12. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

The pig racer has the "large" size rims. Medium diameter super hard tires can be squeezed onto the rims with not much extra effort. For the Shirokumaku, the rims are small sized which does not have a super hard compound that fits.

For the staggered (rear rims wider than front) look, older kits from the 90s have wider rear rims. You can probably find the rims on eBay. They are the same diameter as the current large rims. We sometimes use two(or more) color tires like the ones below. You could just not narrow the tires and add enough width to create your own wide style rear tire.

Medium diameter super hard tires(black) and red arched tires cut down to 26.2mm outside diameter on large rims.

DSC01455.jpg

13. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

Sorry, I forgot I put Pig Racer on Shirokumaku’s chassis. Pig has the “mighty” wheels but the polar bear has “small diameter slick tires” according to the official parlance.

14. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

That's a Normal type tires. The Soft type tire is the clear colored one. I think you can feel the difference directly when you pinch the tire. For more information about tires basic, you can watch this video: