1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rollers too tight? & other noob questions!!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Reuben Herries, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Spacer

yeah thats one of the things I have ordered, my local shop has been out of Popsicle stick FRPs for under guards, but have some coming now. and the low friction front under guard... will play with that. It might be too tight at the back of the white car to fit in an under guard, not sure. will see how it runs!!

2. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Spacer

Has anybody done the testing of having super hard tyres at the back and low friction at the front? vs low friction all round?

3. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

Yes, mixing tire types is common. Gives a little more cornering speed while still having grip for acceleration and bank sections. My open cars below have super hard front and low friction rear which is supposed to make the car jump a shorter distance.

IMG_5867.jpeg

4. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Spacer

jumping a shorter distance? yes I can see that... but I did not think they would slip that much!! we will have to see :)

5. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

I'm not sure how much it really helps, but it's something people do. I do wonder if the faster cornering because of low friction negates some of the shorter jumps though. If you are faster through the corner, you may be faster when reaching the slope section.

Reuben Herries likes this.
  6. Avila Manaut

Avila Manaut Screw

Interested in the breaking part, nice

7. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

Based on my experience, generally if you're using all low friction tires both on the front and rear side it will gives you more cornering speed and less grip to the track surface. At some point, I think it can make the jump shorter compared if you use hard tires on the front and rear side since hard tires have more grip to the track surface.

But if you put like, for example, 5 wave section before the jump section, there's a chance that cars with low friction tires will jump longer since the combination will enable the machine to clear the wave section faster while hard type tires will lose some speed while taking on the wave section. IMO.

I think it all goes back to each machine characteristics.