1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rollers too tight? & other noob questions!!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Reuben Herries, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Washer

hi Guys, just a quicky, in my local class I have just moved into the 'pro' class and can now use bearing rollers, but I can seem to get them to spin freely. I have cleaned them in lighter fluid, and tried putting a drop of oil back on but the seem slow.... Can you over tighten them if you use the correct washers?
    how long do they take to loosen up?

Feedback welcomed! Thank you.

upload_2019-11-8_9-38-34.png

2. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Washer

Also, I am running 2 FM-A cars and a VS. and have just learnt about gear ratios (I had thought all standard sets would be the same ratios...) my question is how needed are the flouride shafts? and bearings in the counter gears? what is my first steps in transmission modifying??

the VS has a 5:1 ratio so needs to change!

3. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

The 5 spoke plastic ringed are normally pretty good out of the package. I normally soak rollers overnight and shake the bottle a couple times to clean bearings. Sometimes rollers take a little running to get rolling smooth. Some are just always bad because of poor machining, poorly seated bearings or just a bad bearing. I'm assuming you don't have a bearing changer so just run it a bunch, clean them, repeat. Some will never improve.

As far as your gearbox questions. Flourine shafts are a little better, probably not enough to see the difference but they are pretty cheap so not a bad thing to run. Bearings in the counter gear is also good, but not as much as some people think. Even with a bearing in the counter gear, there is a large amount of plastic still contacting the gear shaft. But again like the fluorine shaft, it is a small improvement.

Some other improvements are again small but all the small improvements add up. There is a lot that can be done. Your best option is to watch through the VS series of videos from Mad Tang. They are old, but still helpful information and some of it can transfer over to the FMA chassis. The spacing is a little different between the two chassis but gives you an idea of what to work on.

Reuben Herries likes this.
  4. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

You need to break them in first sir. There're so many ways to do it, but usually I use a motor and attach the shaft to the roller, hold the roller and then put some power to the motor so only the bearing inside of the roller that'll spin. You can also add some compound to smoothen the bearing movement

5. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Washer

ok, yeah sure. makes sense! thank you for that.... will try again :)
    Do you oil them or run them Dry? I have heard both!

6. Feroce

Feroce Box Kit

Sometimes where the ball bearing sits into the roller is too tight, if you have the possibility to remove the bearings try to work on the hole with some sandpaper. Something like this:

7. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

It's so helpful to be able to replace and reseat ball bearings in rollers. The only down side is the tools to do it properly can be difficult to get a hold of.

8. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Washer

Thanks for the replies Men!!

I pushed out and replaced one of the bearings as it felt rough.... but am unable to get them spinning freely still?! they're not bad but still far from great!

I did take your advice and shortened the roller base length and have gone to the 13mm up front and 18mm at the rear.

Racing is tonight so I will let you know how I get on! Tonights track is below: good track but the last jump before the final corner was the deciding factor.[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Washer

Does anybody use the rev tuned or Sprint dash motors and small wheel set up? it seems everyone uses Torque Tuned and Hyper Dash?

Is the high reving set up and small wheel set up worth a try?? or stick with the higher torque motors? Most of our tracks are fairly technical with jumps and slopes.

Thanks team :)

10. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

Everyone fast runs torque tuned with the medium sized 26mm tires for tuned class here. In Open class everything from light dash , Hyper dash through Mach, Sprint and Power dashes are popular. For tire size, 23 to 24mm is very popular as it's the current trend in Japan though some people are sticking with the 26mm trimmed tires.

We don't really change tire size depending on motor. Normally you set up your car with everything on it and then change motor depending on track layout.

11. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Washer

ok, yeah cool. I'd love to try all my thoughts and ideas, but don't have time and resource to get them all made, so this helps narrow things down! I race in a class close to tuned and am starting in open (but am not up to cutting chassis up yet!)

thanks again ltr74