1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question(s) Thread

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by M4R, Apr 17, 2017.

1. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

Whoops, I was confusing Aero Avante with Flame Astute. I don’t have an Aero Avante so I can’t check after all. Sorry.

2. reyasem

reyasem Screw

aww it's okay.

anyway, i have a spin viper and it comes with 4 mehcanical wheels but i cant use it since the hole is bigger than a usual wheel, so, anyone know what do i need in order to use this wheels? and what's the best tire size for it? i used the normal small tire and it doesn't fit.

and also, is there a realistic tire available somewhere? you know, with lines and everything? thanks

3. reyasem

reyasem Screw

oh sorry, one more thing, can i discuss and sell Dangun Racers here? i got lots i want to sell but i don't know where to go. thank you

4. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

5. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

Also the Nissan Be which was recently reissued has realistic tires.

6. reyasem

reyasem Screw

Ooh, nice, yeah i just checked it out, i didn't know such a tire exists, thanks guys.

7. reyasem

reyasem Screw

Anyway, im sorry for re-asking this

Can i discuss and sell Dangun Racers here? And also the Mini 4WD RC cars, yknow, those cars that can be switched from RC to Mini 4WD, with real life car model. They're both Tamiya products.

But seeing that there's no subforum for them, maybe i cant post their stuff here, but am i allowed to at least, sell em? Thanks guys

8. YF19pilot

YF19pilot Box Kit

On the topic of tires, I recently ran my Sunny Shuttle (AR Chassis) and had an interesting problem. With stock tires, the wheels kept falling off. I grabbed some new rims with hard tires (I think). The wheels stayed on, but the tires fell off. Currently running a Sprint Dash motor. Any tips to keeping the tires on?

9. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

Try putting some double tape on the wheel before putting on the tire. One of old Tamiya magazine recommend this method. But if you're using a high powered motor like Sprint Dash, I don't think it will last for a long period. I guess you should grab some trimmed tires from a tire trimming service where they've glued the tire to the wheel.

10. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

good day sirs, may i ask, what is the differences, advantages and disadvantages between front body damper and rear body damper?

11. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Really it comes down to preference. I have run rear mounted in the past on VS and FMAR but felt the car was not attacking the track but just out for a cruise. Now, all three of my open cars have front mounted body dampers. One is running an ojapro front lantern that I like because it is very active. The other two run standard body dampers with AT system which increases front roller angle when the body damper activates.

I feel like front mounted is better especially for technical tracks. As the body damper gets to its maximum extent, a front mounted system is going use that continued momentum from movement to rotate the front of the car down, guiding it back in the track. A rear mounted is going to use that same momentum from movement to rotate the rear down, bringing the front up. Watch cars that crash out, if it's not an issue with not jumping straight, it's likely the front end of the car is angled upwards after a jump.

Both systems can work well and tuning can adjust for variations in jumping and landing.

yao wei likes this.
  12. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

thank you sir
    now i understand it's a matter of preference and not a rule of thumb.

13. apaulo.bay

apaulo.bay Screw

whats the best website to buy trimmed tires?

14. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

email DXN provisions. Unlike others who may have tire trimmers of questions quality, He has a proper mini machine shop lathe and all the tools to do it right. I've used his lathe to make my own tires and they come out great.

15. apaulo.bay

apaulo.bay Screw

thanks a lot for that hopefully the shipping is okay since I'm currently living in Australia

16. AaronWebb91

AaronWebb91 Box Kit

Brand new to mini 4wd and have a question about the different tire types. I really like the Burning Sun model but noticed there are 2 different versions: one with standard slick tires and another one with studded tires. Would both tires be legal at a standard track race?

17. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Yes.

AaronWebb91 likes this.
  18. apaulo.bay

apaulo.bay Screw

currently building my MS flexible and I'm confused with the relationship with gear ratio motors and wheel size. currently running hyper dash 2019 with small diameter slick tires running 3.5.1 gear ratio, would it be a good idea to change it to HDP motor with 26mm trimmed super hard with 3.7.1 gear ratio?

19. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

There is very little difference between the 2019 Cup Hyper Dash and a regular Hyper Dash 3. You will get more variation from motor to motor than any difference we have really seen. Good motors of either variety will reach 29 to 30k rpm.

A pretty standard staring set up is Hyper Dash, 3.7 gears and trimmed tires. You can easily speed up or slow down from that point. As far as trimmed tires go, many racers have moved from 26mm trimmed to 24mm or 23mm trimmed tires. This improves acceleration and lowers the center of gravity.

20. PastorJack

PastorJack Screw

Anyone here who was experience cutting/trimming smoke ABS bodies? I planned out a Super Avante Black Special s2 build, but as the project went on I opted to use a front mounted body damper system. The car is almost finished except for the body. I can't decide whether to cut up the ABS body or just use a polycarb body.