1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

New VZ chassis

Discussion in 'New Releases' started by Drew, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Doesn't seem like much update on new releases lately. The last being the LMP1 car. Been a few interesting and nice releases. Anyway, seems they're refreshing the VZ with a new make over. Here's a link from TeamFlazh with pics of official stand:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  2. Spirit Of Motorsport

Spirit Of Motorsport Washer

Can't wait for this one! It looks interesting, I'm excited to see how a FMVZ chassis would do.

3. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Ah yea, VZ....my bad, my minds on vacation right now.

4. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

Yeah, excited for this one. The modular design is good. I can see Tamiya offering FM conversion bumpers for it. But it's does not look like a difficult switch. Just depends on some of the attachment points. After my first initial build, I will be quickly switching it to FMVZ. FMA is too stiff and bad transmission and FMAR or FMVS require a lot of work to make them viable. This new chassis looks like it's going in a good direction.

5. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

I really like what I see here. The VS has been “Aero-ed” basically and also the front bumper is removable so no major cutting needed there. Great stuff.

6. yao wei

yao wei Lock Nut

i will definitely get this kit once it's released

7. Feroce

Feroce Screw

Drew likes this.
  8. Chris

Chris Screw

Per orders are open for the VZ on Hobby Search I have had good luck ordering from them I hope to get a car before they are sent to the US.

9. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

It's a boba; release date of 2/20 so kits coming from Japan will likely be a few days late. Though I have my own pre-order through hobby Search just in case. Will stick get 2 or 3 more kits here locally. One hobby shop in Canada already got in trouble for selling the new kits(why they were shipped 6 weeks early is anyone's guess.) and had to pull them off the shelves.

10. Chris

Chris Screw

I saw a VZ at a race in NJ last Sunday. One of the ones that slipped out of Canada. The car could not stay in for a box stock race. Looks nice and still waiting for mine to come.

Drew likes this.
  11. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

The standard VQS is going to be bad for box stock. It only has normal tires and is very light weight. Once we start seeing special editions with hard and super hard tires, they will probably be a bit better for box stock.

12. David S.

David S. Spacer

I get the point about the tyres but I'm a little confused about the comment on it being light weight. Wouldn't that generally be advantageous? In my (admittedly very limited) experience of racing, the stock motors seem so under-powered that the speeds reached in box stock aren't enough for the cars to be troubled by lane changers or slope jumps. VZ aside, and assuming all other things like tyres were equal, wouldn't a polycarb-bodied car have a slight speed advantage over a hard-shelled car? I suppose the exact track layout must always be a factor but, as I say, I can't recall any of my box stock cars coursing out - they simply don't go fast enough, even when I've experimented with breaking in the stock motor. Am I missing something? (Yes, most probably! :D)

13. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

Slopes are definitely a problem for box stock cars. My son's stock motors turn at 18,000 RPM at 3 volts and Ikea alkaline batteries start at 1.6 volts each(for a total of 3.2 volts) so even slightly higher RPM. Add to the fact that you can't use any dampers or additional parts to absorb the landing and crashing out is quite common. There are also building methods we use to slightly improve a cars performance. All those little bits can make a fast box stock car.

A heavier car is not going to jump quite as far or high which means it won't bounce as much. You can go too heavy as well, MA chassis with big bodies like the Hexagonite are going to potentially be a bit slower because of the extra weight of the body. The sweet spot really seems to be FMA with super hard tires or MA with poly body and super hard tires.

Our tracks are also super technical. We often have to change the track so box stock will stay on while open cars are running Mach Dashes without much trouble.

David S. likes this.
  14. David S.

David S. Spacer

Out of interest, is that 18,000 RPM you mention from an unloaded motor or when it's fitted in the car? and is that a single or double shaft? I'm pretty sure that mine are nowhere near that kind of RPM despite some modest breaking in attempts. More like the 13,800 RPM (unloaded) cited here: https://mini-4wd.fandom.com/wiki/FA-130_Motor. It would explain why my Box Stock cars are never troubled by the LC or slope jumps..!

I recall there's a thread somewhere on this forum about RPM thresholds/targets for each motor type but I can't seem to find it now. Is 18,000 RPM an outlier for the stock motors or commonly achievable? Any special tips for getting that kind of performance out of a stock motor or do all the usual break-in procedures apply?

15. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

That is under no load. I have several stock motors, both single and double shaft in that RPM range. Double shaft seem slightly lower rpm but not by much, maybe 17.7k RPM while my single shaft are about 18.2k. I can pretty consistently get close to 18k. Keeping the magnets strong so you don't lose torque is important though. A cool motor will not damage the magnets much, so my process is pretty long using both high and low voltage, lubrication and cooling time. I actually managed a 19.5k rpm box stock motor but it's magnets were way too weak. Sine then I'e been refining my break in method, mostly for faster motors, but I put the box stock through the same process and have good results.

David S. likes this.
  16. Avila Manaut

Avila Manaut Screw

Does anyone know which model will be released with VZ after this one? My bet will be on Avante ir some DCR variation.

17. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

It will be a new car design called the Dual Ridge based on the RC car of the same name. Part number 18096. No release date yet. It is not on the May list so maybe June or later.

18. Avila Manaut

Avila Manaut Screw

Thanks! So This one? New body for M4 right? Mmmm I don't love it... IMG_1082.JPG

19. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

Two new kit pictures for VZ, Dual Ridge and Japan Cup 2020 Neo-VQS with polycarbonate body
    94565542_2727371797389739_8630866742727409664_o.jpg
    94899733_2727373324056253_8291336989429465088_o.jpg

20. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Spacer

The Neo VQS will make a great box car.... good wheels and the chassis is light from the box.... not sure on the coloured rollers though.