1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forums! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mini-F

Discussion in 'Chassis Builds/Pics/Videos' started by Drew, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Drew

Drew Spring Cap

I'm excited, I had one of these as a kid, but man they're incredibly rare now. Well, I was just able to find a fresh one, well the kit is still fresh but the box is a bit beat up. Will be getting it by the end of the week.
    Will update more when I get it.

Edit: Score! I got 2 coming....Williams Renault and Mugen Honda.
    I really shouldn't keep spending like this, but these kits are so rare these days. Both £15 each, original box.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Drew

Drew Spring Cap

They've finally arrived and I've some pictures to show. The Footwork Mugen Honda is a fresh kit although the box is looking a little worse for wear. The Williams Renault is semi used, already prebuilt but in good condition.
    I'll work on the Williams later and maybe find a way of replacing the front/rear plates. Front might be a little tougher since it has the little slots to hold the body down by it's front wing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know you can get the prebuilt kit from Indonesia, but it's not the original kit with team liveries. The kits I believe are not made any more and are very old and incredibly rare these days. The few I'd found usually cost any where between £50 - £150 (with the exception of one that went all the way up to £300!). So when I found these at such a cheap price, I just had to buy them, I don't care if I have no money left for food after!
    The Mugen Honda (left) cost £15 while the Williams (right) was in a bidding war starting from £5, but I messaged the seller and asked if he'd take a buy now of £15. So overall, £30 well spent :)
    I'll be honest, I did want the Benneton Ford as that was the one I had as a kid (yellow/green), but that was one of the kits selling at £80.

Anyhow, I'll head to the kitchen and start building a little. I'll update this once I've finished them and got the liveries on.

Edit: Forgot to say, the Benneton Ford, the yellow/green car was what got me interested in the mini-f and mini4 to begin with. If it weren't for these, I wouldn't be here today!

3. Drew

Drew Spring Cap

So I tidied up the williams car, changed the bearings for ball bearings, changed the old motor for a new
    motor with a slight more oomph! Added some frp extensions and changed the original rollers for the spare white ones I had. Also sharpie painted it and attempted to attach the dried out old stickers.

End result:
    [​IMG]

Overall, it's a nice car, could change the motor from unbranded 13k rpm to a hyper/light/plasma or something another time. I think it could really use a full underplate reinforcement, the whole front half bends a little too much for my liking, also the front/rear plate need reinforcing, they too feel as though they flex too much.

Edit: Just finished the shell for the Footwork Honda....damn these stickers are out of date. They're not stickers, they're stickerless. Had to buy some glue just to set them in place >.<
    Thinking about leaving the other car in the box for now, both shells fit on the same chassis anyway. This way I have spares incase anything happens.
    Anyway, here's the williams on the car and honda next to it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  4. warwick

warwick Screw

Nice, I know I didn't miss remember when there's F1 car line in tamiya.

I own this shit when I was a kid, very fast basic kit

Drew likes this.
  5. Drew

Drew Spring Cap

I'd been keeping an eye out for them for years, waiting to snap one up if I could ever find a cheap one.
    They're cool kits, but the stickers are well past their stick-by-date. If you ever get one now to build, you should have some double sided tape, glue or paints handy because the stickers are awful now.

Dxn Provisions likes this.
  6. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    holy crap nostalgia for days ! I remember these when I was a kid too !

Drew likes this.
  7. Drew

Drew Spring Cap

I've picked up a plasma dash which I was thinking of dropping in one of these.