1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Mini 4WD RC Racing Event/League 2019

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Chris Todorow, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Chris Todorow

Chris Todorow Box Kit

Anyone interest in starting a mini 4WD remote control racing league/event in the Toronto area?

I would help support the conversion to RC for anyone interested. Then we find a place to race, setup some tiny pylons or something and race each other. Converting my mini 4wd car to remote control has been the best thing i have ever done, it also means we don't need those bulky mini 4wd tracks.

There is an entire league dedicated to this in Japan seen here:
    https://rcmini4wd.com/

I have used a kit from Thingverse which has been working very well. These cars are crazy fast when you convert to remote control, would be awesome to race someone.

Link to the thingverse parts. I could print these for people at a reasonable cost, probably around $20 for all the parts.Or you can print them yourself.
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2230768

Just looking to see if people are interested. If we can get some interest going I will start by organizing an event where we can work together to modify the cars, and you can see/test mine first. Note that currently you need a VS chassis for this conversion, no other chassis will fit for now.

2. Chris Todorow

Chris Todorow Box Kit

Pictures of my current Gen 1 car. I am working on a Gen 2 now with some updates.

Attached Files:

David S. likes this.
  3. David S.

David S. Spacer

Oh my! That looks fantastic Chris!!! Thanks so much for posting - I had no idea these conversion kits existed.

I'm afraid I'm a long way from Canada (I'm in the UK) but would love to give this a go. I have a friend who can 3D print so could certainly get that part done. (Out of interest the pattern looks like it includes wheels but your photos look like you're using regular Tamiya Mini 4WD wheels. Are the 3D printed wheels optional?)

What's the cost roughly of the other bits (bar the base Mini 4WD kit) if you'd be starting from scratch (like me)? Multiband controller, servos, ECU, battery. Is that a modified motor too? Anything else?

And finally, what kind of surface do you race on? I'm guessing a big, flat, covered surface like a sports court. That extended rear axle looks perilously vulnerable to high speed knocks...!

Thanks again for posting. Looks like crazy fun.

David

4. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Cost of the electronics wouldn't be as expensive as you'd think, it'd be just like building a regular competition car.
    The Tx/Rx would cost about £25 for the Flysky GT3C, you can pick up brushed esc's for around £10, micro servos cost between £2-£5, battery the same £2-£5. If you want to use single shaft motor chassis, you could also upgrade it to brushless, I think you can find sensorless esc/motor combo on ebay for like £15 for micro cars.

As for track, you'd be looking at the same as indoor RC, so outdoor garden carpet (no pile) or foam mats you can get from places like halfords.

David S. likes this.
  5. David S.

David S. Spacer

Thanks Drew - very useful. I'm also wondering what differences/improvements are present in a 2nd generation car. Chris: are you able to shed any light?

6. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Another thought for getting the electronics, you could get a wltoys k989 rc rally car, they're pretty cheap and strip it for the electronics. You'll have a motor, esc/rx combo, tx servo and I think it will come with a simple battery. It should also have other parts you could use like 620 and/or 630 bearings, maybe other hardware or other main parts you could use to fashion some steering or suspension for a tamiya car, although the parts are not going to fit unlike those you're probably looking at 3d printing.

7. Javin Lau

Javin Lau Box Kit

Mini 4wd races and practice are at pacific mall in toronto/markham