1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Medium tires on large wheels

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Blitzkrieg, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Box Kit

as not everyone here has a tire trimming device or tire trimming skills as shown in youtube vids has anyone tried fitting medium tires on large dia wheels? How is the performance? And also do other tires like super hard can be fotted to larger wheels? Tia

2. PastorJack

PastorJack Screw

I used to force fit medium super hard and low friction tires on large wheels for my tuned class builds. Works quite well.

3. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

You are not likely to change your tires very often so I have some advice on this.

Your best option is to buy trimmed tires from a reputable seller, either local(best) or online(a lot use fake parts, but a few are legit). Trimming on your own is an option and something I did in the past but after using professional tools, hand trimming is not an option. Hand trimmed will not be perfectly round and will also have inconsistencies in the surface. I have several sets of trimmed tires, ones I made myself on professional tools, some trimmed bought in Japan and some I bought online. They are all better than my best hand trimmed tires.

Now about tire diameter. Until about a year ago 26mm was the standard. Now many top racers are going smaller and smaller, some even sub 23mm diameter. The standard tire on a medium rim is 26.2mm diameter. Putting a medium tire on a large rim is going to make it even larger. It will effect acceleration and stability and generally not very good except in some special circumstances. Your theoretical top speed will be higher but reality is that on the track, you won't reach that point. There is always something else that will improve your speed that is a better choice than going with bigger(especially untrimmed) tires.

My suggestion is get a set of medium sized super hard tires and rims. Use those as you ask around to others about trimmed tires or research online. A single set of trimmed super hard tires will last you a long time. If you want options, get a set of low friction of the same diameter and you're good for 99% of all tracks. Diameter wise, it's up to you if you go old style or new style.

4. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Box Kit

Did it make your machine faster? Hows the stability? Im not really a fan of large dia tires i always prefer medium tires but im also looking at large dia superhard trimmed tires wheels but cant seem to find a seller here in philippines. Btw, I tried trimming tires last night, and it effin ugly but might as well test it maybe on weekends before i tweak something again.

5. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg Box Kit

Thanks for the reply, im really into trimmed tires but its kinda hard to find in it here.. i just had my tires trimmed last night, not the best of my dit skills but hey ill test it and update you guys.

6. PastorJack

PastorJack Screw

A bit faster yes. The first lap will be close but the machine with larger wheels will slowly pull away each lap. I also looked into trimmed super hard/low fric tires but they were just too expensive for me. You can either get a premade set for 6-700 PHP or find someone who will trim your set for 300 but most likely they will take a minimum of 3-5 sets to even consider doing it for you. I ended up trying out those cheap, fake "trimmed" tires you can buy online.

Anyway, trimmed tires are really not all they're hyped up to be. You can't really go wrong with a regular medium low fric/super hard set.