1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Maximizing dimensions

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by PastorJack, May 21, 2019.

1. PastorJack

PastorJack Screw

15584227467741768488727.jpg

I'm curious whether it's a rule of thumb to always go for tha maximum allowed length, width and ground clearance for the best performance. I started out with these cars roughly based on Zen Bluster's basic build guide but I got bored and experimented a bit on the MA car. I run these two cars to compare but as with almost every other thing mini4wd, a lot of the advantages and disadvantages depend on the track layout so basically, AR for speed and MA for technical. I just want to know if there's anyone else here who runs/builds shorter cars too. 15584231609401803174195.jpg 15584227467741768488727.jpg

2. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

I've been thinking of the same thing also. I'm planning on trying to make a short build at some point in the future, as long as you stay within the measurement requirements, there's nothing to say you can't go shorter or narrower. But consider that building to the limits allows the car to have added stability.

3. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

I'm also not a fan of a long tailed car. Most of my cars have so many space in the dimension checker. I like to keep my car short most of the time. For the width, I personally think it's better to keep it as close as possible with the limit.

4. PastorJack

PastorJack Screw

joker.jpg joker.jpg

I built another Zen Bluster basic Tuned style build to compare to the other two.

After extensive testing on all cars I can safely conclude that as with almost everything else mini 4wd, the answer is it depends. The shorter, and slightly lighter MA is significantly faster than both the FM-A and AR. While going for the maximum width is almost a no brainer and basing the overall length on the intended use of the build, I still cannot figure out the the pros and cons of having a very low front underguard.

5. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Screw

I have been wondering this too.... I have my rollers currently right in each corner of the dimension check box, but see a lot of build pics of the rear rollers much closer to the chassis? need more track time to find out.

6. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Rollers closer to the chassis will be faster though stability will be a bit lower. Though I have never had a stability issue that my thoughts were "the rollers need to be further from the chassis". Sometimes the speed difference can be quite noticeable. I generally build as close as is convenient my goals.

Maximizing your build to the dimension box is a good idea, don't go overboard with squeezing the last few millimeters out of it, but rear brakes far back is pretty common. With the current trend of front AT systems, the rear of the cars are getting a bit shorter as we need more space in front for some of our mounting systems. Many of us are losing 4 or 5mm off the rear length and adding it to the front.

Below are my two open cars. The blue with black chassis is current 2019 design with AT bumper and slightly shorter rear brake. Rollers are pushed closer to the chassis to corner faster. The blue with pink chassis is 2018 Japan Cup style. No front AT so shorter front and longer rear brake. Also has rear anchor system causing rear rollers to be further from the chassis. Both work well but the blue and black one is ridiculously fast.
    IMG_5063.jpg IMG_2457.jpg

Reuben Herries likes this.
  7. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

this video might be related. credits to the channel and japanese youtuber

Reuben Herries likes this.
  8. Reuben Herries

Reuben Herries Screw

Primo, thanks guys. I got to test my cars yesterday... I managed to improve all of my kids cars (Junior / N2 class) but my open car is slower?! ha ha I will try move the rear rollers forward and might lighten it in the process.

thanks again.