1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

let's talk about "weight"

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by yao wei, Feb 25, 2019.

1. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

what is the difference between:
    a. reduced weight chassis with heavier dampers
    b. normal chassis with light dampers

supposed that these 2 cars have the same overall set up, parts and weight.

what would be the difference in terms of performance between the two?

2. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

It's complicated because the minimum weight rule really does not come into play so no need to get to a certain weight. But the lower weight chassis should allow you to distribute your weight closer to the ground to lower your center of gravity while also placing it where you need it most. Your lighter weight chassis will also have more flex which should help on recovery from landing jumps.

We don't really cut the chassis to lighten it but to increase and ease modification and increase flex. My MS flex is not lightened like others do and I don't see much difference in the amount of mass dampers I have to run.

yao wei likes this.
  3. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

I think the 1st option is better. Lightweight car will produce better acceleration and you'll gain more option to choose which damper you'll use while keeping the great speed from the lightweight setup. Though I'm not a fan of a lightweight setup, but I think making the chassis a little bit lighter is better compared if you don't do anything to the chassis and use light dampers. For example, sometimes I need to change my damper with the heavier one on the lantern system or on the rear side of my car to make my car jumps in a specific fashion that I want to. Sometimes if you're only using a very light damper, the stability when jumping or landing can be really bad. Imo.

yao wei likes this.
  4. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

A type car will be more stable and wont bounce due to heavier dampers if properly installed and the chassis will be more flexible but the chassis will be prone to damage.

B type car will bounce after jumps even with proper installment of of lanterns, dampers, etc due to the base/chassis weight which is heavier than the mass dampers. so basically its prone to bounce and flying off track but it will be more rigid and will have longer life than the type A chassis.

that is my opinion base on my experience with races.
    so im on a C type car which is using not too heavy nor too light of dampers, and chassis that has been cut just right. I've learned my lessons with MS chassis. nyahahaha

yao wei likes this.
  5. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

all your inputs are very helpful and highly appreciated.
    thank you very much Sirs

6. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

A: this car has a wider center of gravity which is much more stable in terms of landing. am i right Sir?

7. musmos

musmos Box Kit

In terms of type of cars either A, B or C, What will be the ideal weight without battery and with battery for MS chassis(36g for neochamp or 52g for fujitsu white)?

8. RuyHD

RuyHD Spacer

I personally think there's no ideal weight here as long as it follows the tamiya rules it is okey and also it is on the racer preference if they want it as light as possible or if they want it as a heavy set up.

I have 2 MS chassis having a weight of 110g and 130g all w/o batts with dampers and for consistency I always used neochamps. In my experience on the lightweight version definitely faster than my 130g but sometimes when all cars simultaneously jump on the slope section there's a chance that the lightweight car can be kick off by another car which I experienced a few, sometimes it is difficult to tame the speed/making it more stable due to the fact that the motor has less weight to carry a lightweight version so it is definitely faster moreover during a race there's an incident when my opponent's car course off and landed at my track but in a backward direction then pushed my car backward I lose much distance and lose a game cuz my car is lighter and can be pushed w/o resistance.
    As for my 130g version I can say it is about the right kinda balance build (at least in my car) speed and stability can be tamed not that easy to kick off from simultaneous jumps.
    I talked to many racers from what I gathered they prefer around 120-130g w/o batts and with dampers installed, well I can say it's the racer preferences and managing the pros and cons of his/her build.

Hope this helps.

yao wei and musmos like this.