1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forums! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

July 15th Tamiya 5 Lane Race

Discussion in 'Ultimate Hobbies, CA' started by Dxn Provisions, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    Ultimate will be hosting a 5 lane race with Tamiya's 5 lane track this Saturday, I'll be helping with registration and trying to speed things up. Got a treat for everyone this race too.

Hyunsoo Kim likes this.
  2. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    Only snagged a photo of the Open Class winners, Rex posts the rest on the fb group more regularly.

IMG_2761.JPG

Quick race recap for people that would like to know.

It was a great turn out, we had around 150 car entries in box stock, tuned, and tamiya. Split across the board. I only paid a lot of attention to tuned and tamiya because those were the classes I was racing in. I was busy during most of the test/tune time registering racers unfortunately so I didn't get to tune and test as much as I'd like. That being said, the passed few months tracks have been very similar. We've seemed to really like these 40 degree banks followed by short landing jumps, which allowed for my cars settings to not have to change too much.

In my experience it's best to have the rear brake around 2.5-4mm high off the ground for 40 degree banks, this will also give you enough engagement for those short landing jumps and won't drag throughout the 40 degree banks. You lose a lot of time in the 40 degree banks if you don't raise the rear brake. Most racers this weekend had ideal setups. We had a lot of close races.

In clearing those short jumps, you really need to find the sweet spot on voltage/gear ratio to make sure you car lands just before the turn, overcharge a little too much and your car will have problems calming down right before the turn and CO (course out).

I also forgot to mention the crazy land change we had this weekend, not your typical rainbow lane changer at all, it was a adapted 3 lane changer to a 5 lane track. Gary from Tamiya USA provided the pieces. Definitely needed to play with voltage for this LC as well, or adjust your right side roller angle/guide.

Hope this helps everyone for the next race or future races !

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Hyunsoo Kim likes this.
  3. Dxn Provisions

Dxn Provisions Moderator

Staff Member
    attached video of open class finals.

Attached Files: