1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'General' started by M4R, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou Screw

Hello All. I've done RC a while but never really knew about mini 4wd. I came across this hobby in looking for something to do with my 3 year old. Once he and I built a car and ran on a home oval, we were both hooked.

2. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Washer

If I am not mistaking there are some places to race these out your way.

3. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Welcome fellow South Bay racer. In the area, both the Tokyo Central on Artesia and Tokyo Central and Main on Redondo Beach Bvld have kits and parts. The one of Sepulveda does not have anything. There is also Pacific Coast Hobbies that has a small race the first Sunday of every month. The best place to go is about an hour drive, but has the best stock of parts and excellent tracks, in Arcadia at DXN Provisions.

Lucky Lou likes this.
  4. Lucky Lou

Lucky Lou Screw

Thanks for the info.

5. NeoFalcon

NeoFalcon Box Kit

Yes, the recent weather would make for a gnarly drive! If they leave the track set up in the summer time, it might still be fun to make the trip and spend the day testing and tuning. They also rent mini-z style RC cars. And there is an outdoor track in the works. It would be really easy to make a day of it!

6. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Washer

Yeah I would love to come up there,I guess box stock has a lot of racers, the one class above that where you can use Tanya parts only and no chassis cutting or lightning and you can only use their AA's I think it's super stock or tuned stock or something might be cool to try that class.thry told me they get usually any where from 12 to 36 Racers.
    I've seen on eBay those Tanya speed checkers. Wonder too if I should get one of those to test my car's ??
    But one thing I have noticed if you start adding reinforce bumpers and better rollers as well as ball bearings it's starts getting expensive. Also I've heard a good motor to start with to upgrade is the torque tuned 2 motor. And a really good chassis to start with is the MA chassis cars. I've got one AR chassis car and have an MA chassis car coming. I've too heard AR chassis are good to start with too.

7. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

Imo, Tamiya speed checker is not that important. It's just to measure your car's speed and collecting some data if you're that curious. But it can also be used in a certain races if you're measuring your car's run with the speed checker itself. The number displayed in the monitor will also be affected with the gear ratio, batteries, tire diameter and so on. If you're a beginner, I suggest you to buy another grade up parts instead of buying the speed checker. Each racer has their own style of racing. There's some racers that heavily depend on the speed checker and will check their car prior to each run and then there's also some racers who set their cars just based on observation and adjusting the battery voltage, brakes, etc. Good luck!

8. Scott Turner

Scott Turner Washer

Roscoe ,can you actually adjust battery voltage ?? also which batteries are the best to use, and are they rechargable as well? i have heard of these pink batteries are suppose to be goog, cant remember the name of them.

9. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

Yes you can. There are some smart chargers that have the feature to lock the voltage. Another example is when you feel that a fully charge batteries will make your car flew off the track, then you can drain it by turning on the machine or using a battery discharger.

I got a video about the discharger. Here it is:

I usually use either Neo Champ of Pink Fujitsu batteries.

10. Witti

Witti Screw

Hello guys, greeting from Thailand, I am proud to show you all my very first car after stop playing for 18 years. ;)

I don't know why I was suddenly thinking of TAMIYA mini 4WD. When I started searching I found it is more interesting than past years your cars are very beautiful and cool I like them so much then I am back! Good luck racers!! Enjoy racing!!! Cheers!!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    AaronWebb91 and Roscoe_tm10 like this.
  11. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

Welcome back to the M4 world bro! @Witti

AaronWebb91 and Witti like this.
  12. Witti

Witti Screw

Thanks bro! @Roscoe_tm10
    I've been watching your YouTube channel, a great channel #thumbsup

AaronWebb91 and Roscoe_tm10 like this.
  13. KiteKaiT

KiteKaiT Box Kit

Hello everyone!

I was 9 years old when I first owned my own mini 4WD, but, never really raced since I preferred to stay indoors. Now, I’m 27 years old and got re-introduced to mini 4WD here in Japan by my cousin and some friends and now I’m addicted! Currently, I don’t have a car capable of racing because I’m always experimenting and learning. But I am currently working on one and hopefully be able to finish it soon.

Glad to see racers from around the world gathered here! ✊

AaronWebb91 and Witti like this.
  14. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

What's your favorite chassis?

AaronWebb91 likes this.
  15. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Welcome, I'll be traveling to Japan this summer and hopefully get to compete in some local races. Next year will likely be Japan Cup!

AaronWebb91 likes this.
  16. KiteKaiT

KiteKaiT Box Kit

hey @Roscoe_tm10 ! Love your videos! I’m learning a lot from them. Thank you for doing what you do!

As for which chassis I’d consider to be my favorite, I would say I like the MA chassis the most mainly because there’s not much you can do with it which drives my curiosity thinking there’s more to it than what is already known. ☺️

Thank you @ltr74 ! Where are you from? I hope you find a good place to race here! I only know 3 shops that sell parts in my area and 2 that has a race track. Even though I’m in Japan, people in my area are more in to card games.

17. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

I live in Los Angeles but visit Fukuoka twice a year. Where are you in Japan? Mini4wd does not seem as popular in Fukuoka as it is in Tokyo/Yokohama/Osaka, but I know of 4 places with tracks and several stores with parts so it is not bad.

AaronWebb91 likes this.
  18. KiteKaiT

KiteKaiT Box Kit

I’m in Gifu, far far away from Fukuoka. My friend says that there are bigger shops in neighboring cities so I plan to go there. I’m forced to buy pricier items online because these smaller shops only have a small selection of items.

19. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

@KiteKaiT thank you for watching! I see, MA is great! But I was stuck at some point and wasn't able to achieve great speed along with enough stability. Anyway, good luck on making your new car!

20. KiteKaiT

KiteKaiT Box Kit

I see. I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks! :) Once I get the proper tools, I’ll start with a different chassis (probably MS). But for now, I’ll focus on MA and learn what I can. Again, thank you for what you do! It really helps to visually learn about building cars from more experienced racers. :)

Roscoe_tm10 likes this.