1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Introduce yourself!

Discussion in 'General' started by M4R, Mar 29, 2017.

1. KOBLD

KOBLD Box Kit

Hey all! I'm currently in the DFW area but will hopefully be moving back to Kentucky in the next year or so, so if anyone has any store recommendations in either area let me know!

I'm brand, brand new to Mini 4WD, I was vaguely aware of it when I lived in Japan but unfortunately didn't get into it until I got back to the US. I've always been a fan of model kits and I love how affordable mini 4wd is (well at a base level), I was also always a big fan of Tamiya's robo-craft models. I've bought four sets in the past week (hopefully I've got the right names: Dash-1 Emperor, Proto Saber Evo Premium, Gazoo Yaris and my favorite because it's cute, the Dog Racer). Also ordered some parts from Tamiya that I had seen in some videos from a Japanese YouTuber just to start fiddling around with but ultimately I haven't decided what I want to even start actually building off of, which is probably what I need to choose first. So I guess we'll see where things go from here, I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions!

2. Area51Racer

Area51Racer Screw

Ran into this at my local Hobbytown and thought it would be a fun activity to do with my 6 year old nephew. As I looked more into the cars, I also bought 2 for myself. One for box stock and another to modify. I spent many years racing RC cars and slot cars, so this fits right in. First plan is to experiment with ground effects and wings. Going to see if I can find my old homemade windtunnel.

3. valvaroo

valvaroo Box Kit

Hello all, My name is Val. My dad was former mini4wd racer and i was mostly influenced by him, but now we're just doing this for hobby, didn't plan to go to compete since cost for race is very expensive for my current freelance status, and lastly, you can see all my works on my instagram profile

https://www.instagram.com/valvadi90/

4. XFrEzNoGriZzLYx

XFrEzNoGriZzLYx Box Kit

What’s up everyone, my name is Alecks I live in Fresno Cali. Just got into M4WD last week..so trying to figure it all out.

Our local Hobbytown holds races once a month.

Look forward chatting and learning from you all and maybe see you at a race one day.

5. caad9

caad9 Box Kit

Hello from Spain!! Sorry for my bad english. My name is Sergio. I watched a video in youtube of this cars and i liked very much.

I hope that i can learn of your.

Thanks!!

tarutaru likes this.
  6. cesar augusto lopez

cesar augusto lopez Box Kit

Hello to all hoping everybody is safe . I'm from sunrise Florida. Anybody knows why thete ate no tracks in Florida. NO race circuits of any kind

7. Vic_8112

Vic_8112 Box Kit

Hello all. My name's Victor, from Indonesia. Just signed up today and it's an honor to "meet" you all :)

Started to know Tamiya Mini4WD when I was still on elementary school back in early 90's (I think around 1994). Never get serious, just a kid having fun with stock box Mini4WD, running the car on local track with friends, laugh out loud when someone's car goes "klontang" (Indonesian slang for out of track), and that's it. Still remember my very first Mini4WD though, it was the Grasshopper II Jr. (don't have it anymore and regret it so much knowing its price at the moment).

Just started to be interested again lately, especially after having much spare time to surf the internet during this pandemic time, although already bought 2 machines couple years ago (Rise-Emperor and Burning Sun MS, due to nostalgic feeling) but kept it standard without any tuning until recently. Just bought Neo-VQS, but again, not for serious stuff....yet :)

Oh yeah, Mini4WD interests me since my working field is also technical stuff (I'm an automotive technician) so gear ratios, wheel/tire size and fitment are kind of my daily life. Apart from that, new knowledge for me.

Hope I can learn a thing or two, and can contribute a thing or two as well.

Have a great day, everyone! :)

Milo Radadon likes this.
  8. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Lock Nut

Welcome to the Mini 4WD world bro!

Milo Radadon likes this.
  9. Vic_8112

Vic_8112 Box Kit

Thank you, bro. I enjoy watching videos on your youtube channel, especially building the suspension for MS. I think it'll be my upcoming project :)

10. Degrono

Degrono Box Kit

Hello,

My name is Blake and I am in Little Rock Arkansas. Found the hobby on YouTube and just my hands on some cars. I ended up picking up the new vz chassis. I also have two super2 chassis that my niece and nephew picked out. As far as I could find there arnt any tracks to race here but I couldn't let that stop me. Looking foward to asking all the advice.

11. Fazli84

Fazli84 Box Kit

Hi all!

Fazli here from Singapore. Its been decades & I'm just starting back again on mini 4wd. Lots of new things & customisations now. Re-learning mini 4wd again. Looking forward to learning from you pros out there.

12. Milo Radadon

Milo Radadon Screw

Hi... Im new here in the group. I am planning to build my first mini 4wd.... I hope I could get to race with you guys soon. I stopped playing mini 4wd like in 2000?? lol.. Anyways, I hope I could get an update. I am currently in Portland. I dont know if there is any track for race here. Have a great and safe day guys...

13. Ezra&Danny

Ezra&Danny Box Kit

Hi friends, My name is Danny and my son's name is Ezra from So Cal. I've been ghostly lurking here but finally, have the courage to introduce myself. :p My son and I've been obsessing over Mini4WD for the past couple of months. Just enjoy building the tuned class but now slowly getting into the open class builds. The dream is to enter the Japan cup one day with my son. Looking forward to learning and theory crafting with the community.

Roscoe_tm10 likes this.
  14. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Lock Nut

Welcome!

Ezra&Danny likes this.
  15. David Ogea

David Ogea Box Kit

Hi, David here from Switzerland,
    Since a couple of months, I started messing around with RC cars with some friends. I am more of an FPV drone pilot, so pretty new to cars.
    This week, looking for videos about Tamiya kits, I found a video about these tiny little racers and just fell in love with the concept. Technically I have no Mini 4WD yet as I am in vacation, but I already ordered a bunch of them and can't wait to start mounting them when I'll be back home.
    I also tried to find a community in Switzerland and couldn't find any, so it is my duty to start one as soon as possible. I hope I will be able to post in the upcoming weeks pictures of my builds and races in Switzerland. Actually, if Switzerland can become a Mini 4WD hotspot in Europe thanks to me, I would be very proud :)

Spirit Of Motorsport likes this.
  16. Spirit Of Motorsport

Spirit Of Motorsport Washer

Welcome to Mini4WD racing! That sounds awesome. I jumped right in too when I got into it a couple of years ago. Growing up I'd see others play with them and always wanted to try it myself. Good luck with your grassroots community! I hope to see a growing M4 scene in Switzerland over the next couple of months.

David Ogea likes this.
  17. ShortFinSoup

ShortFinSoup Screw

Hello from California! My Pop had got me into RC with his Hotshot, Bigwig amongst many other RC vehicles and literally hundreds of plastic models. I had a couple of Team Associated on road cars and a Midnight Pumpkin Jr. Wild Mini. Boy do I wish I still had that!

I bought s Toyota Hi-Lux and a Nissan King Cab for my 5 year old son (yea right, for me.)

I stumbled across DXN Provisions just a 15 mins drive away and brought the kids there to pick up a Wildsaurus Jr. (that one is really for my son). While there, I chatted it up with Scott (he’s awesome!) as the kiddos seemed interested (son 5 years, daughters 7 and 9).

I might get the kids the animal themed ones like Scott suggested, but I’m still unsure what to get myself. Which one should I start with?

Glad I found DXN/Scott and this forum!! Suggestions/advice welcome!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  18. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

Welcome!
    I was just at DXN yesterday for some practice. It's really the best overall Mini 4wd shop I've been to.

As for kits, some animal racers are better than others. The GT style ones with the MA chassis are better overall than the ones based on the Super 2 chassis. Though some people still race the super 2, it's old and outdated. the MA chassis will give you better performance and when it comes time to race, it will be easier to setup and perform well as it already comes with a good gear ratio and proper sized tires and wheels. Hop up parts fit on it easily and the gear box is easy tow work on and pretty simple. While I race with my MS flex with all the latest tricks and techniques, my son's car is just a simple MA that he can bash around the track with little worry about much breakage.

19. ShortFinSoup

ShortFinSoup Screw

Ok, so I’ll try to steer them towards the GT style ones with the MA chassis. Man, so many options! I’m probably gonna just let them choose whichever one they think looks cute/cool.

I checked with my 5 year old son this morning, he said he just wants to race his Wildsaurus...But the older girls are still interested.

What time were you there? We were there from about 1:15 to 2:00.
    Jay

20. ltr74

ltr74 FRP H-Bar

I was there from 1pm to about 2:30. My son was the 3 year old running around playing with his car on the track. We have not gotten to the track recently because of COVID but he loves playing miniyonku.

Definitely let them pick the car they like. Last year we were stranded in Tokyo for a day and went to the Tamiya Plamodel Factory store. My son could pick any car he wanted, he picked the pink pig GT racer. Not my ideal car for parts I need in the future, but he had a lot of fun playing with It on the track they have set up. The chassis, body and pig head is still floating around somewhere in his toys.

You can always let them have a car to play with then if they want to race, have a separate race car. My son has a couple cars for home play, a couple box stock to race and his one track car.