1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Help with "bent" VS chassis

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by k20a3, Oct 12, 2018.

1. k20a3

k20a3 Screw

Hi folks,

I've just spent the last 2 hours trying to figure out why/how my VS chassis is slightly bent. The front left wheel doesn't touch the ground! Everything was fine during the build, but for some reason, there seems to be a slight bend in the chassis now.

Unfortunately I can't upload pics right now. All I've done is 3-point carbon mount in back with a rear H-style stay and the front is cut to bumperless, reinforced with custom cut H plate. After all the cuts and carbon being attached, the wheels all touched the ground like normal. Seems like overnight, the chassis bent? Brand new build that hasn't been run yet.

Totally perplexed. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Yeah it happens, it was really a problem with the older stye chassis which VS is one of.

Is it a reinforced chassis or regular?
    Double check the axles, make sure that is not the problem.
    Also check the rims, they can often be warped from the factory.
    Is your surface flat? I have a table that is not so everything looks wrong, but on the Tamiya aluminum setting board they are good.
    Put batteries in it and see if that sorts it out. I've seen small bits of warping fixed from putting batteries in that straighten everything out.

If everything still comes up bad then it's likely the chassis. Couple options, if it's not that bad, try it out? small washers and regular washers can be used as spacers to make sure the front bumper and rear brake are parallel to the ground and hits all at the same time. If it's quite bad, then just get a new reinforced chassis.

I'm working on a new VS chassis since we have a new part out to make the front bumperless. It is so stiff, I don't think anything will break it. Teaser photo:
    IMG_1023.jpg

3. k20a3

k20a3 Screw

Thanks for the reply.

It's a regular chassis, not reinforced. After some additional time staring at the chassis, I think I've discovered my problem. The rear stay and 3-point mount was too tight to the chassis. I loosened everything up and the car sat flat with all 4 tires touching the ground. But once i tightened up the back again, it bent again. I ended up using an additional washer below the 6mm spacer in between the rear top chassis posts and the 3-point mount at the bottom and it seemed to work.

Thanks again for your quick reply!

That new piece you have looks to be really useful. Can't wait to see the finished product in more detail!