1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

First FMS2 build

Discussion in 'Super I / II' started by Corweena, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Corweena

Corweena Spacer

Over the past coupe of days, for my next Open class car I've been building my first FMS2. This is the 4th chassis I've played with in open class.....my other current cars are 2 MS suspension cars, and an S2. I also raced an MA Flex car, but due to the flex nature I would go through chassis like crazy, so I'm stepping away from that for a bit. In its place, I decided to try a little more advanced build, and something I've never done before.

Big thanks to Jan (z3nbluster) for his FMS2 build video, it gave me all the info I needed for reversing the S2 transmission and battery fitment.

As far as the overall setup for the car, I had a few goals.....short roller wheelbase, and lighter weight. I tend to overbuild my cars a bit to help with strength and longevity. This time however, I wanted to cut down the weight as much as possible, without going too crazy. I also brought the rollers in as close to the wheels as I could without any contact. This also allowed me to extend the tail of the car, which should improve the jump stability of the car.

This is how the car sits so far....I have a few things I know I need to do......trim down some screws, cut another front stabilizer, buy 2 more pairs of red lightweight rollers to match the front. I can now also go back and trim down some parts a bit more to save on weight. And lastly, decide what kind of body to run on this thing (the hardest part).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gonfan and Drew like this.
  2. Corweena

Corweena Spacer

Here is V1 of the car. Took it for a shakedown run before I made any changes. Definitely surprised me with how good it ran. I will be redoing the body, as this one was just a tester....the color didn't come out how I wanted, and some of my cuts I can change now that I know what works. But more or less, here it is. Should have the car buttoned up by the weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spirit Of Motorsport and Drew like this.
  3. Spirit Of Motorsport

Spirit Of Motorsport Screw

It was running pretty good last night! Now I just need to get my FMAR to stay lol.

4. Corweena

Corweena Spacer

thanks! I need to do a little more work on the transmission....its still not 100% where I want it. I may need to do a bit more trimming in the battery area, so they fit in a little better without being forced in.

5. k20a3

k20a3 Screw

Nice and clean! It's inspiring this noobie to try and build an FM2.

6. Shindouz

Shindouz Spacer

is it true that s2fm acceleration is slight worse than s2 because the crown hear its rotating in the wrong direction?

7. Kaybo

Kaybo Screw

how did you figure out where to cut the body to make it fit? i've seen a few setups with that body chopped like that - I just don't know (or just too afraid to wreck a body) how to make it like that.

so is the whole body part of the damper? or just the nose or the rear?