1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Do spoilers work?

Discussion in 'General' started by KamilA, Aug 4, 2019.

1. KamilA

KamilA Box Kit

Does the spoilers on the cowls (i.e. sabers, most magnum cars) actually provide down thrust or does it actually help aerodynamically?

I usually race in prostock and i've seen most people just opt to remove them since they tend to break if ever the car flips off the track.

2. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Depends...

3. ltr74

ltr74 FRP Popsicle

The standard ones no. There have been some gimmicks where having extra downforce was useful and building big spoilers were helpful, but it has not been a thing for a few years.

4. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

there's 2 japanese videos i have watched before about mini4wd wing and spoilers, but can't find them

5. Area51Racer

Area51Racer Box Kit

I'm working on a ground effects car. I'll post pictures as I go along and result of my testing. The video shown was really a bad example of what I would refer to as a wing or ground effects. The nice thing about ground effects, is that scale of size doesn't matter.

6. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

you might be interested in this video by team flazh tech

7. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

or how about this channel, mini aero test. you can visualize the airflow of various mini 4wd cars
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC0EtLwOznSEuNaVZlO2lgQ

8. Area51Racer

Area51Racer Box Kit

Ok, here's my first attempt at a Mod Car. Hard to see, but there is a spoiler at the rear. And planning to add winglets to the damper mounts and possible a splitter to the front.

Attached Files:

9. Area51Racer

Area51Racer Box Kit

Did my first test yesterday, with no body, and using a stock motor just to see how the chassis worked. Then, tested with the body on, same motor. The rear wing worked well, to the point it was causing the car to nose up on jumps. Then switched to a Hyper-Dash Pro, using 4:1 gears. After some adventure, and gluing the tires to the rims, I added a rear brake sponge and was able to get in several fast laps. Came home and made some changes to the rollers, and added a splitter to the front. Will update after my next test.

Reuben Herries and yao wei like this.
  10. Feroce

Feroce Box Kit

Mini4wd Speed is too low for aerodynamic to really work. Time ago spoilers were a thing (i.e. using items 15115 or 15199 on the front to improve nose dives), but they were useful because of their weight more than else.