1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Can you make a competetive car without Japan Cup Build?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Bogart, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Bogart

Bogart Box Kit

Based on the videos i watched, those custom anchor, auto track etc. was made for digital turn and locking road obstacle in Japan Cup tournaments, now, if the track only has jumps and curves, can i be competetive with just using Tamiya existing parts?

i'm not a fan of cutting, drilling etc. Thanks

2. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Depends on where you race but without AT systems and body dampers you will be at a disadvantage for recovery from jumps. Pivot systems and sliding dampers allow you to jump deeper into curves meaning you can run less brake and carry more speed. I really like the AT, pivot and anchor systems because they are simple to build and cars show good improvement on the track without the requirement of a lot of specialized tools.

That being said, I know there are a lot of Filipinos who are resistant to change and are still racing older style cars. They seem to do just okay on regular tracks but really struggle when you start adding more difficult elements to the track.

Bogart likes this.
  3. RuyHD

RuyHD Spacer

Nowadays even a track layout w/o Rocking straights and/or digital turns AT systems and anchor systems still works though made for RS/Digital but the application can be seen on a regular tracks as well especially on jumps sometimes the car may jump in a not so straight pitch thus on landing some parts of your car can hit the track wall and without flexible mechanism e.g. AT/Anchor/MS flexible your car might course out.
    AT system/sliding systems can help your car to absorb the impact if your landing is approaching the corner without shock absorbing systems your rigid system might course out your car doing this type of landing in other words you can push your car capacity in this type of plays.
    All that being said, a big plus in your setup if you add those systems. Still rigid/basic setups will do but it will limit the car capacity and might not get the full speed you want from it.

Btw if your not fan of cutting/drilling some parts there's a lot of guys in our country that offer service crafting those systems of course there's a fee hehe anyways just my suggestion.

Thanks.

4. Chris

Chris Box Kit

Hey can you put a picture of what ever AT pivot system is. I don’t understand the acronym and would be interested in know what you guys are talking about. Thanks

5. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Pivot system with Ojapro style body damper
    IMG_5039.jpg

Front AT system with standard sliding damper
    IMG_5041.jpg

Standard Rear Anchor
    IMG_5040.jpg

6. Bogart

Bogart Box Kit

Thanks for the reply, your answers do make sense, now Tamiya has those original sliding dampers, why not use those? i know one is made of steel so its heavy so ill just offset it with lighter mass dampers right?

7. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

The biggest problem I have with them is that they do not mount really solidly, especially the front one has quite a bit of wobble to it. The height of them also raises your center of gravity. They also are not as stiff only being single spring compared to dual spring custom versions.

That being said, some racers do use parts of them, though heavily modified and using the carbon pieces for them.

8. PastorJack

PastorJack Screw

A rigid front and rear bumper will do just fine for most track layouts for the local races, but a body damper system is highly recommended. There are ways to build a body damper with minimal cutting to none at all and buying a prebuilt one from a good, reputable builder is another good option. I also don't like building Jcup gimmicks because they can get expensive real quick, that's why I run all rigid machines.

9. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Yeah it can get expensive, especially in places like the Philippines where people have entire fleets of cars they race with. I know some guys from there that live here now said they would have 24 cars all set up to race. Here, our big local track has started limiting entries to 3 per person per class to improve the quality of the racing and speed up the process.

I have 3 open cars and pick the best 2 to race each weekend. It can get expensive if I upgrade everything at once. I just spent $70 to upgrade all front under guards and rear brake carbon fiber with the 2019 Japan Cup pieces. But I do enjoy making new pieces and figuring out how to make the more technical pieces. After the next race, I'm going to be working on the Japan Cup digital turn brake and independent sliding dampers which I'm excited break many popsicles while I learn how to make them.

10. Bogart

Bogart Box Kit

i have no problems with body dampers even with lanterns, i understand that i need those because of the stability for jumps. thanks for the detailed reply

11. Bogart

Bogart Box Kit

it would be great if you keep us posted with your build

12. PastorJack

PastorJack Screw

They also sell HG carbon plates for their sliding damper system, that takes care of the weight. However, a good, solid way to mount the base is much more of a hassle.

It is kinda sad to think that we get cheaper parts here but a vast majority of racers just keep on building essentially the same car for their fleets. Older racers who follow the SpeedTech Racers Philippines rules heavily favor building more cars than building more up to date cars.

13. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

I will be posing some updated pictures. Taking me a long time for each car. Spent the last 3 weeks upgrading one car so will likely make a thread with updated pictures soon.

14. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Yeah, we have some of those racers around here as well. Though with so many people running MS flex or FMAR and newer obstacles that they won't adjust their cars for, the struggle a lot. There is one very strong Speedtech Racer here who can keep up with newer tech, but the rest are either adapting to modern builds or do poorly most races.

15. PastorJack

PastorJack Screw

I really don't mind them as long as the scene is thriving, but the arguments between the older SRP guys and younger, international standard guys have been causing some serious friction within the community.

Anyway, here's my most recent build if it helps. All rigid front and rear without cutting the chassis and using only uncut or premade carbon pieces.

s2.jpg

16. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Nice looking car.

I'm going to work on some videos on entry level open cars for racers. I feel like there are some people afraid of building open cars in the US because of some of the very advanced builds we are doing. my videos will be a bit in the middle, not just bolt on parts, but not requiring Milling machines and lots of special tools. I've got the kit I'm starting with and all the parts, just need to sit down and write an outline and record.

There is one track here that caters more to the SRP style so they have their place to enjoy racing. Most of us more international style racers don't race there often because the tracks are often simple and boring to us. Even when they say really technical track it means 3 slopes of the same style instead of 1and an additional banked section. Most of us racing international style want quantity and variety even if it means struggling at tuning our cars.

PastorJack likes this.
  17. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

You can see how to make one and also the explanation of the bumper in this video:

Bogart likes this.
  18. Bogart

Bogart Box Kit

Thanks Roscoe, i'm a follower of your channel