1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

budget action cam for slowmotion

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Soybi, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

can you refer anything? like $100 dollar below or $110? whete in I can achieve 240 fps maximum even on 420p?

and another question, how many fps and how slow this video is, base on your observation?

2. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Couldn't help ya, sorry. My slowmo cap was done on phone S9+.

Soybi likes this.
  3. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

its okay, yeah I already saw how S9 works and I would love to have that kind of high end phone as well but my place is robbery and theft prone so fdo my best not to bring expensive gadgets outside and try to lay low so I wont get targeted by those people. I've been researching action cameras and so far, Yi 4K action camera is the best alternative to go pro. hope i can find anything better or cheaper as well. anyway, about the vid, is it 240 fps or 480? the light seems strong so i think they used a high end cam to capture it.

4. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Given the quality of the video and also this looks like a Tamiya run event, I'd say it's likely they were using some high end camera to capture the image.

Cheaper cameras can do it, but usually require very good natural light or the image just becomes too dark or suffers chroma issues.
    They generally tend to use sub standard cmos sensors.
    I think ideally you need to find something that can do 240fps at 720p or 120fps at 1080p minimum for image quality, 480p just tends to look awful. But that's just my opinion.

Soybi likes this.
  5. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

An old iPhone? I only have an iPhone SE (kind of like a 6S in the guts of a 5) and it takes very good 240fps video as long as you have the light.

6. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

I'm not really a fan of apple products, that said, after looking at it's tech specs, it looks like it would do the trick.

7. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

I’m not suggesting anyone change their religion. I’m just saying that for many people unwanted iPhones are laying all over the place. You can still hate Apple/Google/MS and use the stuff.

It would only have to be new enough to support slomo which...I think was an iPhone 6 thing.

8. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

I know, I just have an ingrained hate for apple products because to me they just seem so exploitative, I was originally turned off by the apple pc's, deliberately designed not to be upgraded and the way their repairs service is so useless and expensive it makes people feel like it's cheaper to just buy a new one.

Anyway, my grievances aside, the iphone SE you mentioned before has the capability. In the end it's your choice if you want to repurpose an old phone you have lying around. As before, just focus on trying to get some thing capable of doing 240fps at 720p or 120fps at 1080p. I think you'll be fine with that and some good lighting.

9. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

I think this video use 960 fps super slow mo mode, but I'm not that experienced with slow mo stuff since I've been recording with budget smartphone. LOL.
    I think if you're looking for an affordable action cam Xiaomi Yi cam is your best option. There are some models which are really affordable with great quality. I have the 1st generation of Yi cam and it has been my main camera for years though it lacks of image stabilization.

Soybi likes this.
  10. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

thanks for the input guys. iphone does work since my friend tried it but it needs more light. ill keep you guys posted once i was able to create a good slowmotion vid :)

11. Roscoe_tm10

Roscoe_tm10 Spacer

If the lighting is kinda bad, you can color grade it. it'll help a little. I did it sometimes if I can't do anything with the low light situation.

12. SignOfZeta

SignOfZeta Spacer

Or you can just put more light into the room. :)

13. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

Just an update guys, after few days of searching, I found the best and ideal smartphone for me and my budget, yes, a smartphone which is the Honor 8X of huawei which has a maximum of 480fps at 720p. I can't find any action cam with just a maximum of 480 fps, all between 240 fps only an 960 fps thats why i tried looking for a smartphone with maximum of 480fps vid cam. For me, this is better than any iphone 6s or below, or samsung s7 or edge since it only cost $250 as well. once i have bought one and tried it, I'll post results here. I already searched youtube for samples of 480fps vids of Honor 8x and it looks promising so im kind of excited to get one soon @_@ i wanna see how my cars flew off track in a cinematic and dramatic way Nyhahaha!

SignOfZeta and Drew like this.
  14. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

You sound like a masochist, wanting to watch your cars die in slow motion :rolls eyes:

Soybi likes this.
  15. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

Nahh actually my real purpose is to know the reason why the car flew off track where and when it started coz most of the time my car does flew off track so im kind of expecting to record flying off the track vids even with non bouncing setup. I can also see other car's setup why their car is not flying off track.

16. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Yea, slow motion is a good tool to have at your disposal for problem solving. When I was racing the cars with Joe, we could see what was happening and think of ideas for solving it. You could see with Joe's car when it went through the lane changer, the body lantern would flex to the side and try to pull the car over the track wall. Pretty funny.

Soybi likes this.
  17. Soybi

Soybi Spacer

its not totally like this but it is similar hahaha

[​IMG]

Drew likes this.