1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

AR wild nosedive

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dev Vier, Aug 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dev Vier

Dev Vier Box Kit

I need help for my AR jump.
    on high jumps with high speed gear (3.5) it nosedive that it flips it altogether :confused:
    tried changing the mass with heavier one on hanging and rear still no difference.
    currently running 4.0 ratio to make it not flip, but nosedive is still extreme.
    my friend's S2 with similliar setup jumps smoothly that makes me confuse.

Attached Files:

gonfan likes this.
  2. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

How high is your lantern lifting?

3. Dev Vier

Dev Vier Box Kit

this high

593681.jpg

4. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

With mass damper systems, the weights used for ir does not impact jumping angle as much as many people think. It's much more about brake material impacting jumping angle. First thing I would do is double check everything on the bottom of your car, is everything even from side to side?

Now how to fix your problem. Brakes can be adjusted based on compound and height. Your problem may be that your front brakes are working much more than your rear brakes. What happens in this case is that the momentum is thrown forward and the car wants to nosedive. In contrast, having a bit of rear brake causes the rear to drag taking away some of the momentum and the rear end will be lower causing the front to not drop as much. Even if you are running no brakes, this can happen as differences between the front and rear height can do the same thing. Add some rear brake, either going to a softer brake compound or lowering it so it hits sooner. You can also take away front brake or raise the front to achieve the same thing.

gonfan and RuyHD like this.
  5. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

That is not the problem. One of my body damper systems goes up to nearly 90 degrees and has never caused a nosedive/flip problem.

6. Dev Vier

Dev Vier Box Kit

the setup i was running on the rear was 1.5mm ground clearance, the brake stay was taped. the front has 3mm ground clearance with brake covered in tape.

based on your advise, i will lower the rear brake stay to 1mm, no changes to the front since i think 3mm is high enough, we'll se how that goes.

any other advise would be appreciate as i have to fix this nosedive problem for a competition next month

7. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

You could also try running blue brake material in the rear but keeping it at 1.5mm. You will have to raise the brake bar but may give you a bit more braking.

8. RuyHD

RuyHD Washer

thank you for this thread such that I can have a general view on how to adjust the angle either nose up or nose dive.

Btw sir, what do you mean by "You will have to raise the brake bar but may give you a bit more braking"? if make the rear brake bar/pad higher and with a brake material it will brake more? Thanks :)

9. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

to keep the same ground clearance of say 1.5mm after adding a 1mm brake pads, the bar needs to be raised 1mm to compensate for the thickness of the brake.

gonfan and RuyHD like this.
  10. RuyHD

RuyHD Washer

Thank you :)