1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Abilista (Japan Cup 2018) - Pro Stock Build

Discussion in 'MA' started by ckalli, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ckalli

ckalli Box Kit

This is my first foray into Tamiya Mini 4wd. decided to restrict myself to the Pro Stock category. Simply to learn as much as i can before fully modifying the car without understanding what i am doing. After about 3 different set ups i have now got a reasonably stable car and managed to complete the circuit.

For the fun race coming up (my first), I’m using a 4:1 gear ratio and the Atomic Tuned motor. Although the track is set up for speed, I found even using a 3.7 or 3.5 ratio was causing the car to jump the track at random locations on the 3rd lap. I assume this is to the build-up of speed.

I've added my build and some photos of the track at Otaku ME, Dubai.

Wish me luck and any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated!

IMG_4183.jpg IMG_4183.jpg IMG_4184.jpg IMG_4210.JPG IMG_4211.JPG

Attached Files:

Kaybo and Drew like this.
  2. Drew

Drew Carbon Fiber Dust

Awesome looking track.

ckalli likes this.
  3. tarutaru

tarutaru Screw

Just a basic tip, I would put those low friction maroon tires on the front to help with faster cornering speed, and put the hard/super hard black tires on the back to help reduce bounce after landing a jump.

Also, the bottom rollers on the back being with rubber rings slows the car down a lot since the bottom rollers are the ones mainly making contact with the track. Probably can make the car go faster if u take them out or put them on the top instead of bottom

ckalli likes this.
  4. ckalli

ckalli Box Kit

Will try this out and test on track. But, I think if I go any faster my car won’t stay on track for 3 laps.

5. tarutaru

tarutaru Screw

If u want u can even try all low friction maroon tires, or putting rollers with rubber rings on the front. That will slow the car down for sure specially on corners. Also can try other motors such as rev tuned

ckalli likes this.
  6. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

They are running a regular lane change, so you will be at a disadvantage with an MA chassis. They will not perform as well as an FMA chassis for a limited class like pro stock. Also, where and how your car is crashing out is important in finding a fix or it.

But some suggestions. Dump the rubber rollers as other suggested. In it's place put the 13mm from the kit. On the top get rid of the rollers you have and put another set o the plastic 12/13mm rollers. This will act as a bit more of a stabilizer than what you have now. You should be allowed at least certain poly bodies as some kits come with them. Find one that fits and use it to lower your weight/center of gravity.

If you want to go the FMA route, go buy a Mach Frame, Copperfang or Gunbuster light blue special. Eventhough the copperfag and mach frame have ABS bodies, they are light weight and work well.

ckalli likes this.
  7. yao wei

yao wei Spacer

otakume allowed stabilizer on the sides?

8. ckalli

ckalli Box Kit

No they did not.