1. Welcome to the North American Tamiya Mini 4WD Forum ! Get in and get involved, post today!
    Dismiss Notice

Abilista (Japan Cup 2018) - Build

Discussion in 'MA' started by ckalli, Jul 30, 2019.

1. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Your car looks really good. The DCR-02 body is a favorite of many of us for how it looks. Not so much for racing because it is heavier than polycarbonate, but for painting and stickers.

I would try to get a set of plastic ringed 19mm for the upper rear rollers. It's going to help your speed a little bit.

ckalli likes this.
  2. PastorJack

PastorJack Screw

Really digging that paint job!

3. ckalli

ckalli Screw

Thanks was my first attempt. Messed up some of the masking.

4. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Any updates on how your race went?

I see they have a new track design up on Instagram for their next race. Are you going to race on it? There are some very specific things you should do for some of the new obstacles.

5. ckalli

ckalli Screw

4E9F6213-DAC4-43FE-9CBD-3330394F80D7.jpeg DC54CAD2-E77C-4423-BAEB-3D78FE3C8535.jpeg 48FBDEE5-1C31-452B-B0F5-2931CF95119C.jpeg Bad run.

Everything went smoothly during testing the previous day. Race day was off track in the first lap.

Yes will be taking part in the next one. Looks challenging.

I’ve changed the set up more. Thinking of moving everything over to a MS chassis as i feel the MA is too heavy and slow off the line.

6. ltr74

ltr74 Aluminum Lock Nut

Sometimes those things happen. I've had friends fly to Japan to race in the Japan cup prepare their cars really well and course out on the first lap.

I would definitely recommend the MS chassis. It makes the car easier to set up and most of the modern techniques were first used on MS chassis then adapted to others.

The track I saw on IG had 3 special features. The Balancing Straight and Kicker flap are really non issues. While they may catch you and cause problems, there is really not much you can do. Make sure nothing is sticking out from the bottom of your chassis and that your car runs straight and you are good for them. You may need to add a small amount of weight to the rear for the flapper, but that is really it.

The rocking straight is another matter. While it is easier on the 3 lane than the 5 lane because the 3 lane track will flex, it is still difficult to get a good run. The little rocker panels will actually narrow the track below the 105mm car width. Front pivot style roller stay and rear anchor was the common setup last year to deal with it. These two modifications will also serve you well for many other track layouts. I still race my 2018 Japan Cup style car with a few updates and it performs really well.

I'll share three of Roscoe's videos to give you instructions on how to make the parts. This first one is the front pivot style bumper. I'm nor really a fan of the AT system(I had issues running it) but the pivot system is excellent. Your front carbon piece actually has all the same holes as the piece he uses and can be used as an improvement over the video designed one. You just need to trim a bit. Also instead of the 3mm o-ring holding the pivot screw, use one of the plastic axle bushings. Another change I make is when using the carbon fiber stay, 3 12/13mm o-rings on each side instead of the 17/19mm works better and fewer o-rings break. The second video is his track test and some changes to the initial design.

The last video is rear anchor setup. It works very well and is simple to make.

Finally depending on how far you want to go on your build for the next race, body dampers are a pretty standard modification that are quite simple to make. I'm sure you have seen them on other racers cars but I could not find a simple body damper video to include.

This may seem like a lot to do, but it will definitely improve your car on all tracks.